|Food and drink|
|This category was nominated for deletion on 31 October 2008. The result of the discussion was rename.|
- I'm afraid I don't think it's an improvement. As a non-expert on the area I would be in considerably more doubt about what it means. But if you think its more accurate I won't be bothered if it gets changed.Oliver Chettle 16:14, 17 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Thanks for the feedback. I am surprised that you disagree. I continue to think Category:Fruit vegetables is the better name. Besides not being parallel to the other categories, Category:Vegetable-like fruits is awkward and verbose, and implies that somehow these are not "true" vegetables, only approximations, just because English happens to use the same word for fruit in the botanical and the culinary sense. Am I alone in thinking this way? — Pekinensis 16:54, 3 May 2005 (UTC)
Here are some documents that use the phrase "fruit vegetable" for this concept:
- "The Tomato and Other Fruit Vegetables" by Millicent E. Selsam and Jerome Wexler
- The Cook's Thesaurus category Fruit Vegetables
- "CHAIN PRODUCTION COSTS OF FRUIT VEGETABLES: A COMPARISON BETWEEN SPAIN AND THE NETHERLANDS"
- "Asian Vegetables: Selected Fruit and Leafy Types"
- University of California Vegetable Research and Information Center
- CropEXPERT Directory of Crop Experts
- Congo Cookbook
- Eurocode Main Group 8: Vegetables and vegetable products
- Small-scale postharvest handling practices - A manual for horticultural crops
- FAO HOME GARDEN TECHNOLOGY LEAFLET 15: INTENSIVE VEGETABLE PLOTS
- Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food "Cooling of Fresh Market Vegetables"
- Harmonics Cooking
- Sarah's Cookbook
- Baby Vegetables at Evergreen Herbs
- FLUORIDE ACTION NETWORK PESTICIDE PROJECT
- Bibliography of the genetic resources of traditional African vegetables
— Pekinensis 02:26, 4 May 2005 (UTC)
Here are some fruit vegetable links (unsurprisingly heavy on the cucurbits):
- Solana seeds — lots of kinds, and with photos
- Innvista on gourds
- Korean site — lots of cucurbits, and with small but adequate photos
- Comprehensive and scientific, with photos, but hostile to linking from the outside.
- Digital Flora of Texas — lots of cucurbit photos
- New Opportunities in the Cucurbitaceae
- Report on cucurbits (from Harvard)
— Pekinensis 17:03, 3 May 2005 (UTC)
I may have misunderstood, but isn't this a list of (botanical) fruits that are also classified as vegetables by laymen? If so, wouldn't fruit-like vegetables be a better choice? Or, given the corpus of literature above, I agree to switch to "fruit vegetables". 184.108.40.206 07:45, 14 December 2005 (UTC)